Well, I am sure you all must have heard about aloe-vera. But, do you know how beneficial it is for you? No? Not to worry, when Asking Minds is here (huh).
To start with, let me give a brief about this wonder plant. And yes, the Egyptians called Aloe-vera “the plant of immortality.” Now that’s interesting!
So, let’s know more –
Aloe-vera resembles cactus when it comes to looks. But wait, it will not hurt you for sure. From beauty products to health supplements, aloe-vera simply rocks the market. Extending its spiky and bitter leaves, it goes one or two feet tall, known for its incredible healing properties.
Aloe-vera is a succulent plant (moist and pulpy) as the translucent gel inside the leaves of aloe-vera consists around 96% water. It also contains some organic and inorganic compounds, a type of protein which contains 18 of the 20 amino acids found in the body and lastly, Vitamin A, B, C and E. Wow! that’s a lot.
Now coming to its most essential ingredient i.e. glucomannan which allows nutrients to nourish cells and relieve them of toxins. The element sterols in aloe vera improve skin conditions. It helps prevent wrinkle appearance and makes you look young and radiant at any age. And aloe-vera is also a great rejuvenator.
Additional information for you – Aloe Vera is derived from the Arabic word Alloeh which means bitter because of its bitter liquid found in the leaves. Vera, which means true in Latin, was added to this particular species to distinguish its supremacy among the other Aloe plants.
What do you think? Aloe-vera is indeed a wonder plant. Isn’t it? Let’s know a little more about it.
According to an NCBI researched article, “The first reference to Aloe vera in English was a translation by John Goodyew in A.D. 1655 of Dioscorides’ Medical treatise De Materia Medica. By the early 1800s, Aloe-vera was in use as a laxative in the United States, but in the mid-1930s, a turning point occurred when it was successfully used to treat chronic and severe radiation dermatitis.”
Would you like to know something fascinating about aloe-vera? Okay, here it is.
As published by The Hindu, “Aloe-vera has oil repelling (oleophobic) property to separate oil from water.” Isn’t it fascinating?
Let me say, Aloe vera is simply the jack of all trades.
Let’s know its benefits. You are definitely going to find something for you here.
Starting with Aloe vera juice, it is a powerhouse of essential nutrients, antioxidants, vitamins, minerals etc.
Here is a list of Vitamins and minerals it contains:
6. Folic acid
7. Amino acids
8. Vitamins A,B1,B2,B6,C,E
1. Let’s first read about its health benefits after all health is wealth.
It will improve your digestive power and boost your immune system –
With its natural cleansing components, aloe-vera reduces the inflammation and soothes the intestine. It removes waste and cleans the stomach with its nutrients. And its large vitamin content boosts the immunity.
For this, let’s know the wonderful recipe of aloe-vera juice –
- You will need to extract white translucent gel from its leaves carefully, discarding its green part.
- Now, mix a 1-2 spoon full of aloe-vera in either water or juice, whatever you prefer.
- As aloe-vera tastes bitter, so you can add sweetener or lemon, if required.
Not only this but aloe-vera juice works wonder for heartburn relief and constipation. In fact, there are a lot more advantages of aloe-vera juice other than this as mentioned by ayureveryday.
2. Weight loss-
Aloe-vera is a wonderful remedy when it comes to weight-loss. Oh yeah! How many of you are smiling now? (Okay, stop)
There are so many ways you can consume aloe-vera for weight-loss. Style craze has mentioned some of it which you should definitely read.
3. Now coming to enhancing beauty with aloe-vera-
According to Dr. Deepali Bhardwaj, Delhi-based dermatologist says, “Aloe Vera is rich in Vitamin C, E, and beta-carotene which gives it its nourishing and anti-aging qualities. It can moisturize the skin without making it greasy, which makes it a great buy for those with oily skin.” She also suggests drinking aloe vera juice early in the morning on an empty stomach because it improves digestion and cures any kind of stomach trouble. And you know that if you’ve got a healthy inside, it’ll give you a glowing outside which in this case is radiant skin.
There are two ways to use aloe-vera to enhance beauty-
Either apply the gel directly or use aloe-vera with some other useful ingredients to work wonders.
- To treat acne, take some aloe vera gel, blended walnuts with a flour-like consistency and honey. Aloe vera’s healing properties when coupled with the anti-oxidants from honey will leave you with smooth and clear skin.
- For dry skin, take some aloe vera, a pinch of turmeric, a teaspoon of honey, a teaspoon of milk and a few drops of rose water. Blend it all till you get a paste. Apply it and leave in for about 20 minutes or so. Etc.
Apart from this, aloe-vera is mostly used directly without addition of extra ingredient.
- For reducing hair fall to alleviating dandruff or treating the itchy scalp, aloe vera’s gel is applied directly.
- It can heal almost everything whether it’s burns, bruises, rashes or even insect bites.
- People often apply aloe-vera gel directly on the face for a wrinkle-free and glowing skin to look young and radiant at any age.
- From dry skin to sensitive skin, aloe-vera has a solution for all.
And you know what’s more interesting? Aloe-vera can be used as both make-up primer and make-up remover.
Well, there are certain faces of aloe-vera which you must get familiar with before using it.
- For pregnant or breastfeeding women, consuming aloe-vera orally can result in a totally negative way.
- For children, it is safe to use aloe-vera on the skin but consuming it orally might not suit them and cause issues.
- If you have any particular disease, please consult your doctor before using aloe-vera.
Let me mention the most important suggestion regarding the use of aloe vera. Instead of buying aloe-vera products from the market, use organic aloe-vera i.e. directly from the plant for better results.
Growing aloe-vera at your home is not at all difficult. It doesn’t ask for your attention all the time and it’s super easy to take care of it. Here is a wonderful blog by Good Housekeeping about how you can grow and take care of aloe-vera at home which you must read.
But, remember one thing, patience and persistence is the key here. Be regular with whatever you start and have patience as it will take a bit long time to create magic for you.
And yes, instead of absorbing supplements that can harm your body in long run, try to cure and heal everything with healthy ingredients or home remedies.
Being healthy and fit isn’t a fad or a trend. Instead, it’s a lifestyle.
Read more such interesting blog: What are the benefits of meditation? Why should you meditate regularly?